Summer guarantees an “everything” peak experience for everyone.
Wildflower color everywhere, daylight adventures that inevitably continue into late evening, night skies blanketed with star shine, fun times all around town – with so many dream-come-true possibilities, Lake City and Hinsdale County summers are surely where rainbows end.
With things to do and sights to see filling every summer-month moment, happy energy is contagious in town, on backcountry roads and trails, on summits and at tranquil lakes, and even at campfires flaming under the stars. Despite the presence of more people than at other times, all can find their special moments and places amidst the vastness of these San Juans.
Summer Visit Dream Plan
Mid-June thru August
- If you can, book lodging in January, February or March to guarantee your dream-stay. Lake City’s peak tourism season is during July and early August, and yearly repeat visitors claim their spots early. For help finding lodging any time or if you’d like personal assistance, call the Visitor Center at 970-944-2527.
- While the Alpine Loop is quite busy during summer months, a number of alternate 4-wheel and 2-wheel roads and passes, including the Silver Thread Scenic Byway, offer fun-filled and less-traveled options with those always spectacular San Juan views.
- Additional recreational opportunities include camping, hiking high-elevation and wilderness trails, climbing area peaks, and even tackling a couple or all of our five nearby Fourteeners. Hinsdale County literally overflows with lake, stream, river, and reservoir fishing options, and boating and rafting are additional “water play” opportunities.
- Great photo opportunities include American Basin in full bloom, wildlife enjoying the fruits of summer, and historical and geological sites and scenes.
- Enhance your stay by taking advantage of a wide range of free or minimal-cost learning opportunities, including historical tours, performances and presentations; fly fishing workshops; nature tours; geology presentations; mine tours; and art and recreational classes and events.
July – High Country Craft Fair; Old Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration; Historic, Cemetery & Ghost Tours; Ducky Derby; Arts & Crafts Festival; Lake City Arts Plays & Art Shows; Youth & Adult Art Camps; Live Music at local venues
August – August History Month; Historic, Cemetery & Ghost Tours; History Presentations; Stick Horse Show; Night Under the Stars; Back in Thyme Victorian Tea
Access updated and detailed event information in the event calendar